Friday, February 11, 2011

Post #14: Jungle Day 1c - Jane & George of the Jungle - Night walk in the Forest

February 3, 2011
Arrival day & night at Tambopata Lodge

After we enjoyed a cold welcome drink, met the staff, and settled in our cozy cabin #121, we took a brief walk around to get acquainted with the neighborhood, watched a slide show introducing us to what critters lived in the area, embarked on a night walk to see nocturnal animals in the forest, ate dinner, and hit the hay.

Night walk in the forest

It was a dark and spooky night.  Lucky for us it was not raining.  At nightfall before the 8:00 pm dinner, five of us and our flashlights took off on the short trail around the lodge: Elvis, Hoyt, me, and the El Salvador couple.  Turned out this jungle trip was part of their honeymoon!  Wow.  Tarzan and Jane in the flesh!  They were both biologists who, among other things, worked for an NGO in El Salvador, their field of study being bats.  In their country, there are many species of bats, most not harmful to humans - so they said.  Personally, I wouldn't want to find out. 

Elvis's fist instruction:  Don't touch anything.  The trail was narrow.  Some vines hung down near our faces.  We were not to lean into the bushes or touch leaves or anything else.  There could be a poisonous insect resting on a leaf that crawl onto your shirt and sting you.  Not a problem for me, Elvis!  Hands in pockets.  Hoyt had the camera. 

First, we saw a blunt-head snake.  It was smaller around than a pencil. 
Blunt-head snake.
Photo by Charlene Lamy Edge
With its back end wrapped around a plant, it reached its head and upper body straight out into the air, unsupported, as it tried to locate the next plant or tree to attach itself to.

Reach out in the darkness.
Photo by Charlene Lamy Edge
Next sighting:  Bullet ant - about one inch long. This is the most poisonous ant in the world.  Its poison is the same as a cobra snake's, but naturally it carries only a small amount.  If you got stung, "It is described as causing waves of burning, throbbing, all-consuming pain that continues unabated for up to 24 hours."  It would REALLY hurt but you wouldn't die, said Elvis.
Bullet ant.
Photo by Charlene Lamy Edge
After that, we walked awhile until someone said, "Spider!"

Spider in Tambopata Jungle
Photo by Charlene Lamy Edge
Then, "Grasshopper!"

Hello, Grasshopper.
Photo by Charlene Lamy Edge
We kept walking quietly in single-file behind Elvis, our flashlights waving around trying to see what we could.  Then...Monkeys!  Saddleback monkeys.  Aren't they wearing brown travel pants?

Saddleback Tamarin monkey
Photo by Charlene Lamy Edge

A whole troup.  They are on the small side, about the size of a large squirrel.
Photo by Charlene Lamy Edge

We saw nothing else exceptional that night but Elvis had one last instruction for the walk.  He said:

Turn off your flashlights.  NO talking for five minutes.  Stand still on the trail.  Listen.  Listen to the sounds of the night jungle.

This time of silence in the pitch black jungle was oddly soothing.  I was not scared.  I could hear Hoyt breathing right next to me, beyond that I heard crickets chirping, an occassional rustling in the bushes, a low pitch bird call.  Through openings in the leafy trees of the canopy overhead I saw a few stars twinkle.  The air was so still and thick with moisture it felt like a clothe draped over me.  My shirt sleeves hung damp on my arms.  Then...

Whoosh. Whoosh.  Right in front of my face.  I gasped out loud.  Bat wings.  I heard them flap!  If I had moved an inch the critter would have hit me...maybe.  Its sonar system, though, told it I was there and just for kicks, I thought, it sped right past the row of us in a flash.  Scare the tourists!  The El Salvador bride, Melissa, on the other side of me, whispered, "It's a bat.  It won't hurt you."  If you say so, friend!

Afterwards in the lodge at the dinner table, contrary to claims I screamed at the bat, I swore I only "gasped."  A gasp is far different from a scream.  Right?  If I had screamed, they would've known it, right Hoyt?

Travel tip:  Bring a really strong flashlight.  If you can get a halogen type like Hoyt did, it would be better and brighter than the old light bulb kind, which I had.  And bring as large a flashlight as your suitcase can spare space to carry.

Next post:  Jungle Day #2 -  Boat ride and jungle hike.

No comments: